Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

Dynamic drive light comes on about once every two or three

Customer Question

dynamic drive light comes on about once every two or three days. I restart the car and it goes away. Recently my radio started cutting on and off while driving.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: looks like the car is tilted to one side on light over steering and on x control screen it says dynamic drive malfunction.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2005 645ci
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked the power steering fluid level and it seems ok. I do not notice any problems with steering or performance. I read somewhere that changing the battery helps but I have not tried that yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

At first glance it seems that those two problems are seperate. The dynamic drive warning can be on for several reasons from low fluid level (You mentioned you already checked the level, Did you do it with the engine running?), the other reasons can be from a failed sensor or control unit. To determine it you will need to have the vehicle scanned by a BMW diagnostic computer to read out the faults.

The radio cutting out could be any module on the MOST (a fiber optic entertainment system communication bus) to a faulty module, radio or amp.

With all of that being said low battery voltage can wreck havoc on modern BMWs. If you are suspecting the battery being low I would recommend replacing it. Not only is it good maintenance it can prevent a break down for you.