Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

2001 BMW 330Ci. When idling the oil indicator lamp ( goes,

Customer Question

2001 BMW 330Ci. When idling the oil indicator lamp (hello) goes
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: Sorry, the yellow oil lamp flashes on then off sporadically, but not always, during idle. This has been going on for several months and with spec oil changes (2)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not really because I dont have the time. Mechanic could not replacate the problem which is not unusual. level is fine.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Well my next visit (within the month) is to check pressure although the light is yellow, check the sensor ground etc.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

I have seen this before I would check pin tension. To do this you will need to perform a pin drag test on the connector for the oil pressure switch. Use a male pin the same as the oil level sensor and put it in the female pin and pull it out, there should be resistance to it being removed if not the pin would need to replaced. This would cause a intermittent issue that would be hard to reproduce.