Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

Steering malfunction message on my Bmw 550 2007.

Customer Question

Steering malfunction message on my Bmw(###) ###-####
Occasionally comes on. Makes me nervous in taking the car long distance not knowing what the problem may be
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: No. Should I take it to a gas station mechanic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope. That is it
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

There could be lots of reasons for a steering malfunction to low fluid level for the power steering (most likely reason) to a failed sensor. You could bring it to a local gas station and have them check the power steering fluid level. Just don't let them add fluid your vehicle has two different options and both of them are special to BMW (ATF DEX 5+ or CHF 11s) if the fluid is just a little low it is fine to keep driving the vehicle until you can get it to the dealer for a fluid top off. If the fluid is level is ok, It is still safe to keep driving the vehicle. When the system detects a fault it puts it in fail safe mode and the car is still drive-able.

The only reason I would stop driving it is if there is no fluid in the reservoir under the hood. Otherwise it is okay.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

Let me know how you make out, and don't forget to leave positive feedback (It is how I am compensated). Thank you and good luck.