Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

My 1995 540 overheats with AC on when stuck in traffic. No

Customer Question

My 1995 540 overheats with AC on when stuck in traffic. No issues at other times. I keep blowing fuse 25. I replaced the aux fan as the resistor was bad but still have the same problem. Thinking its a relay or the IHKR resistor?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 136K and yes. No problem with starts
JA: What is the model of your '95 BMW?
Customer: 1995 540
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself. Just replaced water pump, belts, thermostat and hoses for maintenance. Replaced aux fan as teh resistor was bad.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I did not replace the fan clutch but it seems to be fine. I can replace that easily but that wouldnt explain teh blown fuse 25.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

Do you know what fuse 25 powers?

As for the overheating condition the condensor is heat soaking the radiator. You mentioned that you replaced the pusher fan and the mechanical fan clutch is ok. I am suspecting the fan clutch is failing it can work enough to make the fan turn just not enough for it to cool the radiator. There is a test you can perform. You will need to do this very carefully I have performed this test 100s of times if you are not comfortable with it then I recommend you bring it to a repair shop for them to perform it.

The test is with the engine up operating temperture and running slowly try to stop the fan with your hand. If you can stop it then the clutch has failed and will need to be replaced. If you can not stop it then it is ok. If you have never replaced the fan clutch then it is long overdue to be replaced.