Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

My mini is showing code 2863 among others but the pep boys

Customer Question

My mini is showing code 2863 among others but the pep boys mechanic can't help Saturday and far from mini dealers any help
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Have not tried to reset
JA: What is the model of your '863 BMW?
Customer: Mini Clubman 2011
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If there is something I could do to get home that would be great
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Was running fine yesterday engine light on this morning and I guess computer won't allow car to run over 20 mph
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

That is a valvetronic fault code. The valvetronic system changes how much the intake valve opens instead of using a throttle body of older cars. When the system sets a fault it shuts down and goes into fail safe that is what you are experiencing. The problem could be a faulty valvetronic motor, sensor (most likely cause), or internal engine component.

As for a fix now to get you home, You can try to clear the faults and perform a battery reset (Disconnect the negative terminal off of the battery for 30 minutes and reconnect. This will reset the engine computer and have it perform a test run of the system hopefully it will not see the same fault. Either way it will need to go to the dealer for diagnosis.