Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2000 bmw z3 engine wont turn off with key in off position,

Customer Question

2000 bmw z3 engine wont turn off with key in off position
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: everything is ok with the key and the steering wheel, battery was dead , charged the battery, car started and run great but key in off position wont turn off engine, can kill engine putting car in gear and letting out on clutch, but coolant fan is still running, untill I disconnect battery cable.
JA: What is the model of your '00 BMW?
Customer: 2000 BMW Z3 roaster
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, put w /d 40 in key hole did not help, used another key also didn"t help
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nothing I can think of, car was fine, car had been setting in driveway a couple days, and battery was dead when tried to start it
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks

lets start here

1- I want you to check the battery for 12 volts

2- also check the alternator for charging 14 plus volts while running ? you can use a voltmeter on battery while running with all loads on , like the headligh on the flashers on radio and a/c on then check for 14 plus volts at battery ?

3- what killed the battery , just sitting for few days ?

please let me know

Thank You

Chad

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Voltage is ok set For a couple days battery was dead nothing left on charged battery battery is good

ok good how about charging system ?

can you unplug the coolant fan connector just to test and see if the engine turn off with key if fan unplugged