Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

I have a 2002 BMW X5 3.0 and I was having trouble with a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: What are all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. noises, leaks, flashing lights, error codes)?
Customer: I have a 2002 BMW X5 3.0 and I was having trouble with a vaccum leak and changed the elbow on the air intake and now iy will start but will turn off after 20 seconds or it stays on if I give it gas
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: same as usual
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixed the original issue which was the vacuum leak, now I have cleaned the Idle valve, cleaned the DISA, and changed the fuel tank breather valve
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's pretty much it
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 3 months ago.

So I am clear, The engine will not idle? And only stay running if you hit the gas pedal. It sounds like the idle valve has failed. I see that you mentioned you cleaned it, BMW idle valves don't take well to cleanings meaning they usually die after being cleaned it damages the electronics inside. I would replace the idle valve, It is a common failure on your vehicle.