peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have a 2010 BMW X5 e70 and the back rear right is

Customer Question

Hey Sam,
I have a 2010 BMW X5 e70 and the back rear right is completely dropped and doesn't respond. No lights coming up on the dash and have still been driving the car however it's on a lean and sitting 30mm lower and is riding really rough. Do you have any ideas on what this could be?
Also have had it connected to a scanner and no codes are coming up.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your model uses ride height sensors in the rear one on each side.If one of these has failed and is sending an incorrect vehicle ride height signal this issue here will occur and in allot of cases may not set a code or warning light as the suspension computer will think that this is the actual level of the vehicle due to a dip in the road.

The other issue is a leaking shock in the rear that is sagging needing replaced but usually this causes a warning light to come on and codes to set.

I would have the shock/struts checked for leaks first.If these are all checked and found o.k. then a fully compatible scan tool is needed to observe the ride height to locate if a sensor is the cause needing replaced.I show the right rear sensor cost of $19 and usually less then a half hour to replace.Part number***********

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've had the sensors checked and airbags checked for leaks and all have come back fine. With the scan tool you can do an actuator test and pump the shocks up on the right and left hand side. Car will then drive for around 2 weeks but then the rear right will drop again and won't come back up. Never had this issue until the battery went flat one day and was fitted at the bmw dealer and programmed in. Could it be the relay cause for some reason the level ride height won't activate. I've checked all fuses in the vehicle and everything is fine even replaced fuses with new ones.

Do you know if the dealer calibrated the suspension system after the battery was replaced?If they did not do this,this needs done with their computer/scan tool.There are several models where this calibration needs done after battery power loss or the suspension will act up like this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Funny you say that! When dropped off to bmw I then received a call to say that the rear level suspension was inactive and the rear was fully slapped and Not driveable. My husband then had to go down to the dealership with a snap on scanner and raise the height of the motor vehicle but have had issue since then. You can't hear the compressor pump working. The compressor pump only works when you do an actuator test on a scanner but as far as controlling to lower and lift during driving without the assistance of the scan tool it does not work.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does it have to go to a dealer to have the suspension calibrated on there computer or can a generic scan tool do this.

It sounds like they may need to do a calibration to correct this here.I know there are several models that this needs done to after battery power loss issues and since there are no codes and air bags and sensors are o.k. and you can actuate the compressor with the scan tool this usually indicates all circuits and components are o.k. but I suspect the calibration needs done.

I would call them and see if they can do this as well if they will charge for this as some places do it at no charge after a battery replacement.Usually this has to be done on their scan tool/computer unless the generic scan tool has the function to go into the suspension computer and do a relearn/calibration.Each after market scan tool is different so this would usually take a higher end scan tool.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Is there anything we need to know in regards ***** ***** this job?
It will be done on a snap on scanner tool.

Usually it is a fairly straight forward procedure.The scan tool is plugged in.Then the suspension computer is accessed with the scan tool.Once this is done if there is a relearn,program,calibrate or reset function on the snap on scan tool under the suspension computer you can check and see if there is a calibration procedure.It is usually a push of a button on the scan tool to calibrate and it does it itself from there.On some models though this will require a dealers tool and I have seen some even involve more tools and an alignment machine to calibrate the system.

Thanks Pete