eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

I have a question. Recently the engine on my 2012 S went

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question. Recently the engine on my 2012 Cooper S went into limp mode and shows a symbol that indicates the engine is at half power. I took the car to autozone and they ran a computer diagnostic on it. They said Cylinder #3 needed a coil pack and spark plug. I changed both the coil pack spark plug but the engine does exactly the same thing. It has a shake and runs with little power. I just disconnected the coil pack on each of the cylinders and the engine ran even worse. When I disconnected the coil pack on #3 the engine ran the same. Seems like there is definitely a problem at cylinder #3. Anything else I can check or trouble shoot?
Category: BMW
Expert:  eauto replied 9 months ago.

have you checked compression?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I changed coil pack and spark plug which is what the diagnostic check said to do on cylinder #3. I have had coil packs go bad on other cars and this feels very similar. Feels electrical. Are there any other electrical components I should check? I am less familiar with newer cars. the engine started shaking suddenly on the way back from a short local drive. This is not something that happened over time.
Expert:  eauto replied 9 months ago.

what was the code? cylinder 3 missfire?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure I have the exact code. I will check my paper work tomorrow and get back to you.
Expert:  eauto replied 9 months ago.

ok

Expert:  eauto replied 9 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been out of town. Will continue to look at this problem during the week.
Expert:  eauto replied 9 months ago.

k

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello. Cylinder #3 doesn't seem to be getting power to the coil. What feeds power to the coil? I need to back track from the coil to see what is happening.
Expert:  eauto replied 9 months ago.

you will need to trace it back to the ecm.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible that it is the ECM? Is replacing the ECM a DIY job?
Expert:  eauto replied 9 months ago.

ecm is not a diy job

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you tell me anything about these 2 pictures of a code reader? I guy I know works on mini coopers but I am not sure how knowledgeable he is. Do the codes mean anything?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, did you have a chance to look at the pictures I sent you?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you take a look at my he images I sent you?
Expert:  eauto replied 9 months ago.

i dont see that as a valid code but