Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

2007 bmw 335xi, the dealership is saying after a $2185

Customer Question

2007 bmw 335xi
JA: What are all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. noises, leaks, flashing lights, error codes)?
Customer: the dealership is saying after a $2185 camshaft bearing ledge replacement they did that it's still not fixed and now it's a faulty DME.
JA: Are you fixing your 335xi yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it's stalling and poor idling.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: before i put it at the dealership, i replaced both solenoids, 2 check valves, 2 camshaft sensors. then it started stalling.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the dealership is saying "the ignition coil grounds were left loose" after I did the valve cover gasket repair which caused the DME to go bad.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had some codes and while waiting on some tools to come in the mail I decided to replace the Valve Cover Gasket. The car was still giving P0016 and LIMP MODE (1/2 engine block) before and after the Valve Cover Gasket Repair. I brought it to a local shop and they said specifically 3100 boost and 2aa4. After that, I continued to dig more into the error codes. I did the work myself (replaced both solenoids, 2 vanos check-valves, both camshaft sensors). The car then started stalling and poor idling after the 2nd camshaft sensor was replaced. The top to the oil filter housing unit was missing so I had them replace that and do another oil change. That didn't repair it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I broke down and took it to the dealership because I thought it was the camshaft bearing ledge like some of the BMW bulletins and service advisories suggested. The dealership said the code was jumped tooth (2aa4) and that it was $1500 to go in there and fix it. I agreed to that amount of labor. They called me and said I had a faulty VANOS unit and it needed to be replaced and they also suggested the camshaft bearing ledge. The new price tag (after some compromising) was $2185.
They did everything and then called me and said it is still having the same symptoms and giving the same codes so now they said I have a bad DME from loose ignition coils from my VCG repair. I have a torque wrench and don't believe that can cause such an issue. What is your opinion on all of this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't "break down" mechanically - only emotionally :)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh and the spark plugs were replaced when the VCG was done. all OEM parts were used for everything.
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like the dealership misdiagnosed the first time with that large repair and now are guessing it is a failed DME (which it could be). I would talk with the service manager (He is different then the service advisor you are talking with now) and ask why the did $2185 worth of work to fix the fault codes for them to still being on. And will the DME actually fix the vehicle and are they sure seeing the current track record. Ask if they can goodwill the DME seeing how much money you have already spent on your vehicle there. If they are not helpfully contact BMW customer service and explain to them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've actually been talking with the shop foreman. How common is a failed DME?
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

Not that often, I have done a couple of them