peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

2002 BMW 745I will not turn over or attempt to start.

Customer Question

2002 BMW 745I will not turn over or attempt to start. replaced battery, starter and checked all fuses. what could it be?
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you hear any clicking noises inside the vehicle or under the hood at all with this issue here when trying to start it?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hear the fuel pump kick on and off but no clicking from me trying to start it at all. All electronics come on, lights, ac, horn radio but will not spin over or start at all.

Does this model use a push button start or the key itself?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Push button and yes I have my foot on the brake while starting.

Do the brake lights work when pressing on the brake when the ignition is on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked that also.

O.k.,with what you have described here this sounds like an internal electrical fault in the CAS (comfort access system) control module.This module is part of the start/stop switch and houses the starting switch.This module can fail internally causing this no crank/no start issue here.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your model.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.This is one of the main components that will fail and cause this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete