Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i SMG (LT23596) recently had a ECU Checksum

Customer Question

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i SMG (LT23596)
JA: What are all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. noises, leaks, flashing lights, error codes)?
Customer: recently had a ECU Checksum error--car wouldn't respond to throttle, rough loping idle; had the DME reprogrammed. Now the SMG transmission performance is sporadic--currently won't come out of 1st gear, so won't start. The C110 scanner currently shows the following faults: "299A CAN fault management EGS" and "2883 Fuel Trim, Bank 2" and 2882 Fuel Trim, Bank 1"
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: Are you familiar with the SMG transmission? I don't believe you can (easily) check the transmission fluid...
JA: No. I'm the Mechanic's Assistant. Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: As I said above, it's not a C300, it's a BMW Z4. And I recently had a ECU Checksum error--car wouldn't respond to throttle, rough loping idle; had the DME reprogrammed. Now the SMG transmission performance is sporadic--currently won't come out of 1st gear, so won't start. The C110 scanner currently shows the following faults: "299A CAN fault management EGS" and "2883 Fuel Trim, Bank 2" and 2882 Fuel Trim, Bank 1"
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I only want to be connected if he/she is experienced with SMG transmissions...
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you still receiving the CHECKSUM error?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.