sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2001 x5 has the triad lights on (ABS, DSC, BRAKE) and the

Customer Question

My 2001 x5 has the triad lights on (ABS, DSC, BRAKE) and the speedometer doesn't work. I replaced the driver's side rear ABS sensor with a BMW part. The problem continues intermittently.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: ...also getting a P0500 code for bad speed sensor
JA: What is the model of your '01 BMW?
Customer: Hi, Pearl.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2001 X5
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The problem seems to go away while the car is parked overnight
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just want to be a little more clear. The car is a 2001 BMW X5... 160000 miles. The speedometer doesn't work, the DDC, ABS and "BRAKE" are on, (no other malfuntion lights are on). Getting a P0500. Overnight the problem goes away and comes back after driving it for a while. I want to do the repair myself.
I replaced the rear left ABS sensor with a new BMW one. Also cleaned the rear right ABS sensor.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I meant to write: the "DSC", "ABS", and "Brake", sorry
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This morning after car sat unused all night, the instrument panel was back to normal. I drove the car and all was normal (no DSC, ABS, Brake warnings)... also, the speedometer worked normally. After 4.8 miles of normal in-town driving, the warnings came back and the speedometer stopped working again.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I suspect the ABS module may not be awake either due to an internal failure or loss of power or ground.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if the ABS module will communicate, and then what fault codes are set in it if it does. Do you have something capable of communication with the ABS module?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No code reader for ABS

The first step in diagnosing the problem is going to see if the ABS module communicates and then what fault codes are set if it does communicate. You'll need to somehow locate an ABS capable scan tool or co reader to begin accurate diagnosis.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will work on it

Great!