peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

2011 238i, I had an error come up on Friday to replace the

Customer Question

2011 238i
JA: What are all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. noises, leaks, flashing lights, error codes)?
Customer: I had an error come up on Friday to replace the gas cap. Once that came up the service engine soon came on and stayed on. I replaced the gas cap but the light is still on to service engine soon. How do I reset that?
JA: Have you checked the gas cap for cracks? Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: I replaced the cap. Where do I check the fuse at?
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the cap with a new one yesterday. I had my mechanic at the business I won plug up to the computer to make sure I didn't any codes showing. There was nothing. I just need to get the service engine soon light to go off
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: any ideas on how to get the light to reset since I replaced the gas cap?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The gas cap light is letting you know that an evap leak (fuel tank vapor leak) has been detected.This also turns on the check engine light.In most cases it is a loose gas cap needing reinstalled but in some cases it can be another component in the evap system that will cause this leak and issue here needing repaired.

With the check engine light on or gas cap light on still this indicates there is a code set.Most likely the scan tool that was used to read out the codes was not fully compatible with this model and is why the lights are still on and a different scan tool is needed to read out the codes and then clear them.I would have this double checked with a different scan tool for your model to see if any codes just need cleared out to resolve this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took it also to my repair guy which services bmw. He plugged it up too and there are no codes showing. I saw on a forum that the light will reset itself after 3 days. Is this true?

O.k.,if there are no codes set for sure here and if the evap leak fault has been repaired with the cap being replaced you should be able to drive it for a few days to clear the light.In some cases it can take up to 2 weeks to clear the light all depending on how much you drive the vehicle.If it does not clear after 2 weeks then I would have a shop test the evap system for any leaks needing repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete