Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

I have a 2001 BMW 740il. I replaced the alternator about 8

Customer Question

I have a 2001 BMW 740il. I replaced the alternator about 8 months ago (wasn't cheap) and about 2 months a go I bought a brand new battery. Drove it to the gorcery store today, was in the store about 20 minutes and when I went to start it it was dead. I mean seriously dead.....wouldn't turn over and I couldn't even get the trunk open to get my battery cables out. Borrowed cables and got a jump. While being jumped I got the stereo to turn on and the trunk to open. Still could never get the car to turn over but atleast could hear the starter trying now. Unhooked the cables and went to hop in my buddy's car (because still wouldn't start after 15 minutes of being jumped) and it was so dead that the only way I could operate the door locks or trunk was to actually put the cables back on and operate while the door/trunk while I was being jumped.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I would start first with removing the battery and having it charged and tested to be sure it will hold a load . If it checks okay and has been charged then reinstall it and see if the engine will start and run. If it dose then the next step would be to have the charging system tested on your new alternator to be sure its charging at the proper rate of 14 volts.