Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2001 4.4L x5. Replaced the blower moter resitor and no fire.

Customer Question

2001 4.4L x5. Replaced the blower moter resitor and no fire. I checked the yellow/green 12 volts are present. Blue/red wire at max fan speed has 8volt
When I hold the resistor in hand it gets hot
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Have you put power to the blower directly?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Which connector?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Same one? I did the check on?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If so. What coulor is the wire that powers the blower on the plug
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

Power to the blower is on red/green and black green. Most likely the blower is bad which can be confimed by testing these wires or putting 12v to them directly.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
apply 12 volt directly to each one separately? Or at the same time?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
One gets positive and one gets negative from the power source. Doesn't matter which. Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
If there are no additional questions please kindly click On a positive rating
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so motor turns over!
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Then the resistor you got is defective or there is a wiring short. There is nothing else in the circuit.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a new part. I don't find it to be normal for the coil rods on the resistor to be getting hot is this right?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A wiring short well hmm. Maybe you can assist this diagnosis.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
They should not get that hot and the fan should run - either it is defective or there is a wiring short of some kind as I said.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so what your telling me is buy another 150$ resistor just to possibly say still didint work. A gamble in other words. Is there any other test I can do to find a possible short like you said before buying another non returnable part. Sorry Diagrams I dont read.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Test for power out from the resistor as I previously suggested or run temporary replacement wiring.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As previously suggested was to apply a negative and positive to the motor directly to determine if it worked. Now checking power from the resistor. How do I do this? Have it plugged in to its power source
( harness clip) and check power out of the 2 supplies
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I would pierce the coating on the output wires with the probes of a meter to see if voltage is leaving the resistor or not. yes it has to be connected to do this.

Please do not forget to click on a positive rating