Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Customer Question

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what diagnostics have been carried out and what has been done so far?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No diagnostics,,, I used a Mass Air flow sensor cleaner
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

P1770 = CAN Torque Interface

The fault is caused when the amount of torque requested is mismatched with what the vehicle can produce. It is usually caused by an engine issue (programming, throttle, wiring, bad MAF sensor, etc).

This can be a tough code to trace down without other codes pointing to the malfunction that caused it to set (ie a fault code in the engine control unit).

Due to the nebulous nature of this generic p code fault, its multiple possible causes and also the expense that can be involved in an improper diagnosis, I would suggest you have the car scanned using a dealer level scan tool in order to gleam more accurate information as to its possible cause. A dealer level scan will provide significantly more detail than a generic p code reader.

If you had other faults related to the engine in conjunction with the p1770, it might be easier to trace down, but with just the p1770, the best advice I can give is to have a scan done at the a BMW specialist with dealer level equipment to avoid throwing parts at the car that may not fix it. If you need a specialist for this check out or for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.