HondaGuygold
HondaGuygold, BMW Answer Team
Experience:  BMW Expert
3827149

When we tried to lower the top on our 2003 M3 it went down

Customer Question

When we tried to lower the top on our 2003 M3 it went down but started clicking and the red indicator light went on. Now it will not go up, only clicks when we try lowering it. What to do?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Sounds like drivers side, in the trunk. First time for a malfunction
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fix if I can. Have tried to figure out manual top operation, but no reference to it in the manual. Pounded on the rear deck while wife held the lowering switch down, but no luck
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Coup-le of days ago got part of a jacket trapped between deck and rear window assembly. Pulled it loose with some difficulty and the top worked perfectly and has for two or three times since.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like this may be an issue with a worn or stripped gear in the roof system components causing the clicking noise and operation issues or a fault with one of the micro switch/position sensors not sending the correct signal on what position the roof is in which will cause this fault as well.Unfortunately you will have to have the fault codes checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set with this fault here.Once this has been done any codes set need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, I live 7 hours from a dealer, so I am pretty much on my own. I suspect the plastic gear cover on the motor under theIt could be the sensor(s) but all worked fine until we got part of a jacket caught where the rear deck meets the seatback area. Thus, I suspect the gears in the motor under the rear seat..but, who knows I live 7 hours from a BMW dealer so I am pretty much on my own.1. Is this a repairable item (motor under seat) or replace only?
2. If replace, do you know a reliable online parts source that carries this unit?
3. Is/are there any "tricks" that will aid in R&R if that is my best option?Thank you.Gerald
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
still no answer to my followup questions...so no rating yet

Unfortunately I dont have the repair info on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  HondaGuygold replied 4 months ago.

Different expert here .Did you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah, unless I missed it, I do not see any answer to my removal/repair of the motor and gearbox unit for the top. I also asked if anyone knew an online source for the parts.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My followup questions remain unanswered, as far as I can tell. If what I have received is what I get, I want my money back.