peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have a 1997 840 with seat adjustment memory. The steering

Customer Question

I have a 1997 840 with seat adjustment memory. The steering wheel has electric adjustment and adjusts when using the stalk on the steering column. I believe the steering wheel should also adjust to the last saved position when the ignition is turned on but it does not. Also my warning gong when I leave my key in the ignition sometimes works but most of the time does not.Any thoughts?
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like 2 different issues here.First with the warning chime this may be an issue with the ignition cylinder not sending a signal intermittently for this to work properly.I have seen some of these fail before needing replaced.

The other issue is on some models the steering does not adjust with the memory controls and this may be why it isnt adjusting at all or that you need to set the steering where you want it then reprogram the memory feature so it operates properly.If you have already tried this and it did not work let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete