Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I talked to you the other day about total electronic

Customer Question

Kevin,I talked to you the other day about total electronic failure. You thought maybe footwear sensor. BMW dealer now says trunk full of water that destroyed electronics. Internet has numerous incidents of trunk flooding in 550i due to clogged sunroof drains or trunk seal failure. Warranty company wants to try to recreate with high pressure wash. Is this common? Should it be covered by warranty? Dealer says well over $2,000. Does this all sound right to you?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

In my opinion yes it should be covered by warrenty but this unfortunatly isnt always the case .the price sounds about normal there are alot of electronics in the boot .this is a mainteneance issue as drains should be periodically checked but if boot seal is damaged this could be seen as a wear and tear failure

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How are owners supposed to know about these obscure maintenance procedures? Where are they covered in the manuals? How many hidden issues are there? An owner shouldn't have to be an engineer or tech. Solutions to these obscure issues should be solved by the manufacturer or covered if they don't fix these recurring issues. How do I address this with the warranty people or dealer?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

I agree these should be checked at service

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how do I get warranty people to agree to cover? Any suggestions?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

They either will or they wont there is nothing you can do to persuade them .they will descide if they feel that its within the cover of not