Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

2006 mini not S, convertible, 125,000 miles. 5-spd manual

Customer Question

2006 mini cooper not S, convertible, 125,000 miles. 5-spd manual transmission makes grinding noise, local independent mechanic, ex-BMW, says transmission is shot, must be replaced. Quotes $2970 parts + tax, $1320 labor. Aside from that $ amount equaling exactly the value of repaired vehicle (Edmunds private party est $4206) , what do you think?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
If the transmission is grinding at that mileage then I would agree a replacement is in order. Price quotes is reasonable. You could potentially consider a used replacement but given the value of the vehicle I might consider selling it as is and putting what you can get towards a different car.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.