Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

My BMW X5 2001 self levelling suspension message appears on

Customer Question

Hi pearl - my BMW X5 2001 self levelling suspension message appears on dash board I've had this problem before and know it's either the air compressors located in the spare tyre bay or the shocks - I've changed the fuses in the fuse module - his hasn't corrected it - could it be anything else. As the car I'd quite old is it time to redo the whole suspension system?
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: One in front one at back
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sorry I thought there was one in front - looks like no access
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: changing fuses in the rear fuse box
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing else I can think of
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

it could also be an issue with the control module or a ride height sensor or some other power supply issue. you will need to have the fault logs scanned from the car to verify.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Steve I just remembered I had a leaking air compressor - I did replace it some time ago - if it is this again what would cause the problem
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
If the compressor was already replaced it isn't likely this again. If it is, it would just be random luck, there isn't anything that would cause systematic compressor failure unless there was a voltage problem which would be very unlikely