Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Have a 2011 bmwx5 with 73000 miles,every now and again when

Customer Question

Have a 2011 bmwx5 with 73000 miles,every now and again when I put it in drive or come to a stop the transmission jerks as if I as hit in the rear
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2011 x5 35i
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have not done anything,if it is a large problem I will trade vehicle
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I did get a clue engine light come on with code p2402 evaporate emissions leak a couple of days before,cleared it myself and has not returned
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: No stalling,car runs great,I pulled the code myself,same code came on 8 months ago,the dealer replaced tank vent and filter.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
do any warning lights come on?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No warning lights,this only happens very infrequent
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Happened 6mths ago then happened yesterday
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
R u there?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I stepped away from the computer as it took 30min for your reply to my post to arrive.

There can be a delay in responses as I am not a full time employee of this site.

So, to confirm, you have had this minor issue twice in 6 months and no other issues with the transmission?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Steve,have to sign off for now,will ck my email for your response,thanks,will ck back later
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
I just replied.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the reply Steve ,I was just concerned that the transmission may need major repairs or maybe a tranny service may work
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To answer your question,yes it has only happened twice,very infrequently
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Must log off now,have to go to work,will ck back later,thanks Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

based on what you have described I would not worry about it given it is two minor jerks 6 months apart. If the issue becomes more frequent or worsens in another way, then it could indicate a software problem, internal transmission wear, a problem with the drive shaft mount, or an issue with the valve body/mechatronics, however, I doubt this is the case.

.

again, I wouldn't take any action or worry unless it starts happening regularly

.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.