Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

I have a 2001 E46 325i BMW. The old motor had internal

Customer Question

I have a 2001 E46 325i BMW. The old motor had internal damage, so i decided to purchase a used motor to swap in. I have the engine in the car with my manual transmission attached. No belts are on the car, so the noise is not from a belt or pulley. After installing the motor i primed it with 7 quarts of synthetic oil, cranked it with the start motor multiple times for 5 second periods. After the priming process was complete, the oil level on the dipstick had gone down to the minimum mark (guessing because the new engine was completely empty of oil, so the priming refilled all the passes and channels) so i topped it back up to the full mark. I reflashed my ECU to a 330 flash and then went for the first start. Here is the sound im getting:
I have no idea where to start or what could be causing this. any help is much appreciated.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Do this again with the clutch pressed down .

But sounds like a crankshaft grind .

Let me know if any difference with the clutch pressed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i dont really want to start the motor again, to prevent any damage.but when i crank the car with the starter motor (clutch pushed in) i get the same sound just not as loud and less frequently. i had my buddy crank the engine by hand as i listened to see if i could hear anything. there appears to be some noise coming from the bellhousing area, but i am not sure if it is normal or not. im thinking my next step is to pull my transmission and take a look.
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Yes Pull the transmission, looks like you may have the fly wheel damage or the spacer plate was not used .

see now that you have a manual most likely is something catching there .

You could also drop the oil in a clean container and check for metal particles, this will also

give you a sign of internal damage IF any ,Silver and brass colour will be main / rod bearings .

Please get back to me and keep me updated .

Rgds Greg