rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I've managed to lock my only key in my X5 and wondered if

Customer Question

Hi. I've managed to lock my only key in my X5 and wondered if theres any way in without breaking the window (appreciate that thats a sensitive question by the way!)
JA: Any trouble turning the key in the ignition? Do you have a key fob?
Customer: Sorry, I'm locked out. Key fob is in the car
JA: What year is your X5?
Customer: 2003 3.0i Sport
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Auto
Category: BMW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

To be honest with you, this happened to me too last year. I called the police and they came and got the door open with the tools they carry with them in their trunks. I only knew to do this because a family member is a cop and told me about that service.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Ron. I'll use that as a last resort - I'm in the UK and the police station is a good few miles away so was hoping to fix it myself if possible. Good suggestion though, thanks
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome, thank you too and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will do. Can you release the question back into the pool in the meantime to see if anyone can help me do it myself please Ron. Thanks
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

That would mean that I have to opt out and I don't get credit for helping you. There are no other ways to get into the car unless you break a window. You did say that I gave you a good suggestion.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand but I want to fix this myself
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Sometimes, you just can't without creating another problem. This is one of those cases. I'd like to do my own root canal, but I can't:)