Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Change battery and car still want crank. What could be the

Customer Question

Change battery and car still want crank. What could be the problem
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: Brand new battery n everything is good. I put key in and brakes are hard to pressed n nothing happening
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 06 bmw 330i
JA: What year is your BMW?
Customer: 06
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Bought new battery and still want crank
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Im asking you for advice. What could be the problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.
most likely you have a failed starter. this is VERY common on this model. you will need to have the starter replaced. I will list other possible causes for you below, but you almost certainly need a new starter.

.

1) bad key - try another one

2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.

3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral

4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS or CAS) - nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.

5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start. Try rocking the car back and forth in park a couple times.

6) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - this is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start.

7) dead starter/solenoid/relay - To verify, you would need to access the starter and verify if the start signal is making it or not.

8) bad ignition switch/cylinder – also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case

9) Random blown fuse – consider checking ALL fusese

10) Bad steering lock – nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix

11) security system glitch – unhook the battery for an hour then lock/unlock the doors manually a few times.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.