rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2008 mini s, this past memorial day weekend, the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 mini Cooper s, this past memorial day weekend, the engine light came on while driving and then not long after shutdown, it was towed to a shop and I was told 1- the timing chain had to be replaced, the thermostat was recommended to be replaced, my warranty company declined the thermostat but did authorized the timing chain, also they said there was an aftermarket hose that needed to be replaced, well I picked up my mini on 6-10-16. Then on 6-16-16 while driving the thermostat light e on yellow, then the oil light , then finally the engine light all while I'm coming thru a tunnel, I but on caution light to make it off but the car shut off , they say the aftermarket hose clamp came apart, in which I lost coolant, which caused the engine to overheat, finally now they say I'm in need of an engine now, my question is did this occor because the thermostat wasn't replaced
Category: BMW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

It's possible but unlikely. They should have replace ALL hose clamps that they have taken off though. You NEVER use the old clamps. They should have known better than that.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Yes, I'll call you as soon as i see the request go through.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to rate me too. I don't get credit for helping you until you do:)

Thanks, Ron