Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

It will not go in drive but will go in reverse, 2004 330ci,

Customer Question

It will not go in drive but will go in reverse
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2004 330ci
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. It did overheat after the fanbelt broke a few weeks ago, my uncle fixed that and replaced the fan clutch too. Cleaned the radiator and replaced hoses. It had a slight hesitation going into drive before that incident but always drove fine once it was warmed up.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: There seems to be no leaks
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What is the vin?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

thanks for providing the vin.

on this model, unless you have the shift linkage binding up physically preventing you from putting the shifter into reverse, then the issue is internal to the transmission - either a loss of fluid pressure (low fluid, bad internal seal, etc), a bad solenoid, or a bad clutch drum. the transmission will need to be opened at a minimum to verify, and likely a full rebuild will be in order at that point.

sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, but I trust that my honestly is appreciated.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.