Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

I have a 1989 750iL and have my radio code. However, when I

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a 1989 750iL and have my radio code. However, when I turn the radio on it shows the number 1 and does not ask for the code.
JA: Has the battery been recently disconnected? Have you checked the manual or the glove box for the radio code?
Customer: Pearl,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have the code, but the radio only displays 1 not code.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The battery was disconnected. I do not have the full radio manual.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Did this start when he battery or radio was disconnected? Or did it start out of the blue?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was the result of disconnecting the battery for winter storage.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
I would suggest unhooking the battery again and seeing if it will accept the code.

if it will not, then unfortunately this would indicate the radio has failed (happens from time to time) and the best action would be to purchase a replacement on ebay

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.