Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I just replaced the latch and it's still not working

Customer Question

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Can you please provide more info? What latch are you referring to? Why was it replaced? Etc?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The drivers side rear door. I replaced it bc it would not latch. I would close it and it would bounce back and not latch. It's the only door that has ever done that. It is very intermittent and I udually fix it by pulling gently on the outside handle until I hear clicks and then it will close bit now it won't close at all. This is my 3rd latch on this door so I know that can't be the issue bc I'm not having it on any other door
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Is it a soft close door?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
Then the issue I the door electronics module or software
BMW has a lot of problems with these door latches and has issued a service billeting and special testing procedures to address it. I would advise that you have this testing carried out to identify the root cause. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the dealer on this one as their equipment is required to run the testing and also to program a replacement module or update software
Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer but I trust that my honestly and quick response is appreciate on a Friday evening
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks so much. I really appreciate that. Also do you have any idea what the cost is for that
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
A diagnostic would run 150 to 250
A module about 500
Software another 150 or so
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Are you having a problem with the rating links? Please let me know