peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I do have e90 2007 328xi n51 engine. Mass become strict on

Customer Question

Hi there I do have e90 2007 328xi n51 engine . Mass become strict on emission . So any how I got car with simple diagnos valve cover gasket leaking on exhaust and cozing smoke be under hood and inside the car - well I replace it . Clean every single oil spot wich I could reach put it all back together start it 2 minute later smoke coming up . Alright my miss some oil ... Nope smoke didn't went away at this point I drove it like crazy and when I come back now it's cloud of smoke under hood . Ok next day I vent and got inspection camera to where the oil leak - so from what I could see its oil right where Chen valve housing be twin manifolds . Then it's on bolts wich hold manifold only on two . Then it's lower on some kinda of the big flat bolt wich flat with surface there and oil drips right on top of cat from age of front exhaust manifold right where it's mounts to head . So at this point I am lost its no gasket there anywhere wich could coze so much oil to lick . Car have 116 k miles . Runs perfectly besides oil burning smoke . Please help .
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure if files added
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so on pic 1 u can see where is oil drips on cat I hope . Second picture u can see I am not alone with this proble I think , it's tendon picture form eBay . And it's have same spots oil stains kinda . So at this point I would like to know if u think it's head gasket leakin out , but then how oil gets higher or it's possible external head crack wich I never herd of on Bmw . I was thinking to pressurize the valve cover some how and listen if air actually coming out or oil bubles up but this cat have no dipstick and I am to afraid to blow main seals .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got this from Internet guy wich similar problem smoke from under hood
"Make sense now! I went to the dealer to get my oil change and they said I had an OIL leak from one of my valves...I noticed the smoke when the engine was on..So that has to be the problem! Oh and it's a 500$ repair from the dealer "
So if it is leaking from exhaust valve isn't it supposed to be smoking out of tale pipe ? In my case it's no smoke out of tale pipe at all .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any one planing on replying ?
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If it is leaking out of the exhaust valve enough it can drip out of the exhaust onto the engine components,smoke as well like this under the hood.I would clean it all off again,add oil dye to the oil system and run it for a few minutes then re check the engine area for the leak with a black light/leak tracer light to locate the source of the leak.Once this is done it can be repaired.I suspect it may be the exhaust valve and the cylinder head itself may be damaged enough to where it may need repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got it well . Thank you for reply . So far I found where oil is leaking . And I see where it's accumulating . But I can't see where it is coming from . At this point I am planing to take of front exhaust manifold and clean everything truly . Then start the car and see where is coming from . If it's valve oil will fly out of one ports . If it's crack in the head i will see it . It's nothing else could be at this point I check all wich inspection camera . Black light it's solution but I don't know where to get addetif for oil . Any input will be grate . Space there is wery limited so no matter whhat I will need to remove exhaust in case if head cracked wich I hope not the case it will need to be done any how .

You can usually get the dye from a local parts store or dealer to add to the oil.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete