Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2007 bmw 328 i and the steering wheel lock? the car

Customer Question

hello i have a 2007 bmw 328 i and the steering wheel lock ? the car wont start off couse.. how can i reset it ??
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: 4 years old battery? battery turn over not sure that is?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i have put the key inside in out couple of time that it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

I am going to be 100% honest with you, and I trust that will be appreciated.

.

I'm afraid I have bad news. 99% the car will need to be towed to BMW.

.

Unfortunately this is a very common problem on this model. The electronic steering lock is very common to fail and cause this. You can try wiggling the wheel and rocking the car back and forth, a second key, a jump start, check fuses, lock unlock the car a few times using the blade key, and unhooking the battery for an hour.

.

Truthfully, none of these is likely to work. I'm afraid that almost certainly the car will need to be towed to bmw, as this is usually the only way to resolve this issue.

.

Bmw will normally have to update the software or replace the steering column to fix the issue. BMW actually got rid of the steering lock on later model 3 series’ because they failed so commonly and were such a problem.

.

If you do a google search for e90 steering lock or e90 elv, you will find all kinds of people with the same issue.

.

I am sorry I can't have better news, but I do trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated. Again this is very common.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.