sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My wife tried to "open" the child lock mechanism on rear

Customer Question

My wife tried to "open" the child lock mechanism on rear door by "bypassing" the black up and down lever, instead, pushed the latch lever inside the compartment, and now it's stuck and won't move up or down. How can we get this fixed?
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the child protection lock lever has been forced inside the door? If that's the case then the door panel will need to be removed, the latch removed and inspected to see if it can be repaired. If it was operating correctly and the linkage was just bent inward into the door then you should be able to bend it back and then reinstall the latch. If it bent because it wasn't able to move correctly originally then the latch is going to need to be replaced.