Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

I am trying to replace the Alternator Bracket oil seal on my

Customer Question

Hi, I am trying to replace the Alternator Bracket oil seal on my 2003 BMW 745il. I found instructions for doing it with air cooled alternator, but unfortunately I have the water cooled. I am looking for the procedure to do this job, with water cooled alternator.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: this is an oil leak
JA: What is the model of your '03 BMW?
Customer: 745iL
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I have gotten the front drive belt off, removed fan shroud. but I haven't removed the power steering pump or alternator yet. The instructions I found online have 2 bolts holding the air cooled alternator, but I have more than 2 bolts. Do I have to drop the cross member to get to the bolts holding the alternator bracket ?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am pretty mechanically inclined, worked on Volvo's for years in my father's garage. I have an engine hoist to hold the engine when removing the motor mount. I am just stuck on how to get the alternator bracket off. The instructions for with air cooled are pretty clear, but it's not the same for watercooled unfortunately.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Are you trying to figure out how to get the alternator removed? It should have 6 bolts.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Brian, I am not trying to just remove the Alternator, I need to remove the Alternator Bracket, since the oil seal between the Alternator bracket and the block is leaking (that $5 part). But since it has a water cooled alternator, I am stuck at the point where I need to remove the alternator. How do I get to remove the alternator bracket on a model with Water Cooled Alternator ?

Ok. For some reason, I am not finding instructions for the bracket itself, but I do have the instructions for the liquid cooled alternator. Perhaps once the alternator is removed you will be able to access the bolts to remove the bracket. I am attaching the instructions for the alternator. Please let me know if this helps you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Brian, unfortunately that won't be sufficient, I can easily remove the alternator. But the bracket it sits in, still has to come out, as the leaking oil seal is behind the bracket that the alternator sits in. With the water cooled alternator, the housing still remains on the alternator bracket.

Alright. I got the impression from your previous comment that you were at a point where you were unable to get the alternator removed. Give me a minute and let me see if I can find something for the bracket

I'm sorry but it doesn't look like I have the instructions for that. I will open this to the other experts. I'm sure one of them will have them.