Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

I have a 96 z3 and the dash lights just went out and the

Customer Question

I have a 96 z3 and the dash lights just went out and the passenger side tail lights went out but the brake light still works. any idea? Update on the question. I found 5 broken wires in the harness that goes from the trunk lid to the rear fender. After connecting the wires all the tail lights work great but now the car will not start. I disconnected the wires and changed 3 blown fuses and it started back up. While the car was running I connected the wires back up. Now the car will not start again and all the fuses are good. I have undone the wires and tried and the car will not start. A mechanic came by and tested all fuses and said the starter is getting power but no signal. The power door locks don't work now and the dash lights still don't work.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

what is the last 7 digits of the vin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I wonder if there might be some kind of security feature that can be reset, the reason I ask is that everything works but there seems to be no signal to the starter.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

there is no security reset on this car. you can try unhooking the battery for an hour, a second key, and locking/unlocking manually with the key in the door as possible glitches to correct. the immobilizer, if tripped, can only be reset with a bmw scan tool (unfortunately the truth by design).

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.