Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Check engine light came on one night ago. car seens to run

Customer Question

check engine light came on one night ago. car seens to run fine, haven't had any codes checked.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: stays on soild.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2007 x5 4.8i
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, checked on board computer said status ok no faults
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

the odds are there was a bad reading or glitch signal the computer saw that triggered the check engine light

since the on board computer said no faults at this point the code set is in the history and is not a current code

since its running good i would have a Firestone or a place like that read the code for free and tell you the code number if its something like an evap emissions code set make sure the gas cap is tight and if it is have the codes cleared and if that light comes back on i would have the shop diagnose the code number it is setting

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer