peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Problem with top manuel convertible top trunk will not close

Customer Question

hi pearl I am Donnie problem with top manuel convertible top trunk will not close and latch nor can I release the storage compartment for the top
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes sort fo but this seems different somehoe
JA: What year is your Manuel Convertible?
Customer: 1997 318i
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and I was about to start checking fuses since the issue sems to bed booth mechanical and electrical as when you first operate the handle the windows do not react
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: during driving I hear some extra rattle noise ?? from passanger rear
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The top and windows are most likely not operating/releasing due to the trunk not closing or latching.If the trunk is closing but isnt latching at all this can be due to an internal electrical fault with the latch itself.I have seen the latch fail in the past before needing replaced for this issue here.I would have the trunk latch checked/tested to see if it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete