Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

2010 s R57 engine. Tappit type of noise started as soon as

Customer Question

2010 cooper s R57 engine. Tappit type of noise started as soon as car is started, but subsides after car warms up. car has backfired numerious times when upshifting from 4th-to-5th gear.BMW tells me that there is no recall on my timing chain tensioner, BUT looking through my paperwork from Sept 2012, it says " Tchain Tensioner Recall Cause Per Sim 110212. looks as though the mating surface on the tensioner surface which contacts that seal ring mating surface, was not machined correctly. Car still backfiring during upshift, and last year when at dealer, they told me that poor gas was the cause, even though I always put in high test. There were misfire fault codes stored on all cylinders, back in Apr of 2015. Any thought as to a timing chain/tensioner issue here?
Thank you
Category: BMW
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

There are no TSBs in relation to this. Im not sure what the technician meant there.

The backfiring alone is said to be a "character trait" of the N18 engine and is to be considered normal and nothing needs done to address it.

Is it still throwing misfire codes?

Do you have a stethescope to try to narrow down where the engine noise is coming from?