sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Bmw 745li 2002, im geting error, misture too lean bank 1 and

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: bmw 745li 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: im geting error
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: misture too lean bank 1 and bank 2
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 100000m
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what exactly is your question about this? what information were you seeking? possible causes of lean bank 1 and bank 2?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Plzz see attachment
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
okay... I have reviewed? do you want to know possible causes? something else?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Air mass sensor?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
are you not able to see my replies?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you reply..no i cant talk on call
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

I am replying? can you not see my replies?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NO
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

how did you know to reply no if you can't see my replies? I have asked you several times to please clarify your question? I don't know what information you are looking for. Do ou want to know possible causes? something else?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i checked alll the air leakage...changed fuel breather pipe..theres no leakege...apart frm these..o2 sensor changed..wat else could be the cause?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

if there is no intake air leak then the most likely cause would b ea failure of the crankcase ventilation system or bad airflow sensor.

..

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what is crankcase ventilation system? and dont worry i wont rate you bad..but please atleast satisfy me as much as u can
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

the crankcase ventilation system maintains crankcase pressure and vents the crankcase. there are vent valves in the top of each valve cover and several associated hoses. the system is common to fail and cause lean running. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how much does that cost to change?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

the valves are cheap, maybe $40 each. the hoses would be more and are more involved to change, probably $600 incl parts and labor. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but my check engine lite doesnt come everyday.if i delete it..it comes after like 7 8 days mayb..what do u thnk cud be the cause?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

that does not change the answer. the fault will only set when the condition is severe enough to set it. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i think your more interested in the rating rather than satisfying me...i wont rate you bad..but please tell me the probability...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how much chances of air mass flow?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
his values were around 22
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

I receive nothing until a positive rating is selected. the positive rating is very important to me.

the probability is 60% crankcase vent valve, 30% airflow sensor, 10% random/unpredictable.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
oh that orange ones?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

yes the orange ones. as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating

Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
if there are no additional question please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i changed them..then its the air mass flow?but i saw da values it was 22 ...how can u say its da mass flow then ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wtf?i bloody paid money and i didnt get a response from your mechanic..its been 12 hrs now?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hellooooooooooooooooooooooo??????
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah i. Need help. I replaced maf and still check engine light came
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please see attachment

The first step from here is going to be to test fuel pressure with the engine running while the problem is present. Have you checked fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i havent..how to check that?also i cheked maf pc valves..air leakege i could not find anything..how to measure fuel pressure?

http://www.sears.com/biltek-0-140-psi-fuel-injection-pump-injector/p-SPM7822002005?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok...what other could be the possible reasons?

YOu either have too little fuel or excessive air causing the code to set. If you don't have any vacuum leaks and the mass airflow sensor is correct then you need to check fuel pressure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how much chances for the catlytic converter?can that be a reason too or not??since i feel the accreleration is not as it was a week ago

An exhaust restriction would usually cause a rich code to set rather than lean, but exhaust backpressure can be checked if the converters are in question.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I sealed the flap by the way...at the end the silencer..it was causing a noise when i start the car..so my pressure is getting out from only one flap at the end of the silencer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
anyway..i ll check the fuel pressure tomorrow and will get back to you..thank u soo much for your time though :)

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi

Hi.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Checked the fuel pressure it was 3.5 bar as it shoud b. Intake was fine no leakage. What other possibilites. Changed 02 sensors too. Before cat
You checked pressure under load while the problem was happening?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Can you elaborate on the flap that was sealed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i reversed that...so now everything is in original condition....can the accerelation of the car b slow if my o2 sensors miss their values not always..but some times

I'm not sure what you mean. What was done with what flap?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi is anyone there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
helloooooooo?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

If you need something simply post here and I will see it and respond as I am able.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my problem of vacum leakage is still not gone?almost every tests have been performed

I've asked on a couple occasions what was done with what flap and have not received a reply.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sealed one flap at the rear side..since it use to give a rattling sound when i start the car when the vacum use to come ..so i sealed one flap...so now the exhaust comes out only from one exhaust..i checked with my other bmw thats also closed even when u accelerate..it remains closed

Do you mean you tried to seal a broken part of the intake manifold back on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
see the image..i sealed one exhaust..because on engine off...the flap inside use to be open..and when it starts with the vacum it closes.during that procedure..it use to give a rattling sound..as it was loose..so i sealed the flap inside ..now my exhaust air comes out only from one exhaust..and it also gives an amazing sound when you accelerate.

If you have a vacuum leak and are unable to see anything visually then try spraying carb cleaner at all suspected leak areas while the engine is running. If the idle changes then you've found a leak.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i even did that..but nothing..this flap sealed..cannot be a prioblem right?

I see the picture of the exhaust but I'm not clear on what exactly was sealed.

You can have the intake tested at a shop with a smoke machine to locate leaks if you're not able, they would most likely charge .5 to 1 hour of labor to do so.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thats the flap inside one silenver exhaust...it opens and closes with vacum as you would know since thats a common issue in bmws

I don't know exactly what was done to it though. If it was damaged it should have been replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
plzz help me with my check engine light..i dont know what to do next

If you know there is a vacuum leak you need to locate and repair it or have someone with the proper equipment and experience do so.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where shoud i see the air leaks?can u tell me the possible places?

You're not going to see a vacuum leak unless you can locate damage to a vacuum line, the intake, brake booster, etc. If you're unable to find any physical issues and carb cleaner didn't reveal anything then I would recommend a smoke machine to pressurize the intake tract.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok will do and get back to you..thank u so much

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi is anyone there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is the maximum temperature of n62 engine..bmw 745li that is should go on?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In summers around 35Celcius??

Do you mean coolant temperature?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Low 90's (Celsius) wouldn't be unexpected in hot weather, especially at low speeds.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mine is 105 it stays around there..i Read it bmw engines are like that..I just wanted to confirm..Dont u know abt this?
they run hotter than the other cars

The final stage of cooling fan engages at 92 C per the service information, which is a bit lower than most vehicles.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
mine stays around 103 105 is that normal for a bmw n62 engine?

I wouldn't be concerned with that in high temperatures and especially while stopped.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when its stopped it goes to 107 at times but mostly stays under 105

As long as the cooling fans are operational and temperature doesn't continue to climb then you should be ok.