C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

2007 mini S r56 (n14 engine) coil on plug overheating and

Customer Question

2007 mini cooper S r56 (n14 engine) coil on plug overheating and melting when ignition is on. replaced all four coil plugs and #4 coil pack still overheats
Category: BMW
Expert:  internal88 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - BMW tech.

Are you using factory OEM coil not aftermarket coil?

You should be installing BMW # ***** for the coil.

Please rate me positive, Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am using Original OE Coil Plugs. *********** Delphi brand from Mini.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what voltage should i be seeing on the harness plug to the coil pack? what is the test procedure here?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how does this work? you haven't answered my question. the site is asking me to Rate you. not finished yet...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do i have to pay for this?
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Good evening new tech here sorry about the last one he is not here now.

You do not have to rate until we fix the problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you have an answer yet? or do you need more information from me?

There is a black wire coming from the #4 coil This goes to a ground and also to an interference suppression compacitor. I suspect the issue is with the ground wire or the compacitor. If you have a weak ground it will melt everything in its way including the coil and ground wire. If you feel the wire it will be a little messed up. But you can take the protection coating off and replace with electrical tape once we are sure the wiring is good and the ground is solid.

If the wiring checks out than we have a problem with the DME ignition control module.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what is the specs for the interference suppression capacitor for the ignition coil? os i can test it and or replace it. or what is the Factory part number to replace?

There are no specs on the suppressor. But if the ground wire is dropping between it that would indicate it is shorted out. Most of the times it will just be a bad ground with corrosion on it causing this concern. But I would go through and make sure it is getting a good ground. The part number is *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have good clean ground. that is not the issue. that part number you gave doesn't match anything the dealshership has. they don't know what I'm talking about (i01046 is just the identifier on the Service manual Schematic).

Okay its the identifier on the service manual but they cannot look it up? I am going to need to opt out of this one because I do not think I am equipped to help you over the web. Sorry.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok. two failed techs, not able to answer this question. thanks for the attempted help. i don't have to pay for this do i? we can close out the question at this point. no answer provided. good try tho.