Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

My display on my 2009 650I is showing the "car on the lift"

Customer Question

My display on my 2009 650I is showing the "car on the lift" display image and a "high battery drain when resting" error message. This happens when I start up the car. I installed a new $350 replacement battery into the car this past weekend and the message still occurs if the car rests overnight. The original battery was 7 years old with only 50% of its cold cranking amp I popped for a new battery. I can clear the fault message after starting up the car...stopping it....then starting up again once the engine starts charging. What is the issue?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 51000 miles. I don't have a code reader.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no the car is immaculate otherwise.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What diagnostics have been carried out other than battery replacement?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No other diagnostics have been pulled from the car. The mechanics determined that the original 7 year old battery had only 50% available cold cranking amps, so they recommended replacement. I have plenty of cold cranking amps. I checked to see if any dome lights, map lights, trunk lights, etc. were draining the battery. But nothing comes up. I have noted that the 6 stack CD player in the glove box apparently goes through several cycles after I shut off the car. Could the CD be putting a drain on the battery?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did I lose you?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.