Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have a 2010 Mini S. I have had two timing chains replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Mini Cooper S. I have had two timing chains replaced within one year. I have had to have carbon cleaning of all intake valves twice since the replacement of the timing chains. Now, I have leaky valves that need to be resealed and my engine in "pinging" It is my understanding that these last issues are due to the problem with the timing chain, but the dealership I took it to says "no". What are your thoughts?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hi im kevin unfortunatly not, the valves getting carboned up is due to the design of your engine and frankly all modern engines suffer from this.the engine runs a direct injection system which means the fuel is put directly into the cylinder .on older cars the fuel was mixed with the air inside the manifold its thought this prevented carbon build up as the fuel and air comes into contact with the valves on your engine only air comes into contact allowing carbon to build up on back of valve stem.after a period of time this carbon build up can cause burning on the valve seat causing the valves not to close fully causing your issue .this in unrelated to the timing chain witch is also a common issue on your engine

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all