Eurocar inc
Eurocar inc, ASE Certified Technician

Working on a BMW x5 35d diesel 2009 , that will crank but no

Customer Question

working on a BMW x5 35d diesel 2009 , that will crank but no start. ( incorrect def fluid is displaying on the dash. filled up DEF fluid on both active and passive tanks. still showing incorrect fluid. there is fault in the DDE that will not reset no matter what. faults are 4D08, 474C, 4748 4746 for scr system deactivation scenario stage 1,2,3 and fault #41f9 system error and poor quality urea / water. before all these faults there was fault of both NOx sensors, which I replaced. and the faults were cleared for the NOx sensors. also replaced the metering valve just incase. reprogram the computer using latest version of BMW ISTA/p. perform battery static reset. check all the fuses in the vehicle. all power and grounds to the DDE. reset scr system and particular filter reg.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
which component tells the dde module, its the incorrect DEF fluid
Expert:  Kenny replied 4 months ago.

This will sound crazy but if the system ran completely out of DEF fluid and the counter ran to 0 miles till restart the only work around is to refill the tanks (which you did already) and put the vehicle in neutral and push it around the parking lot the vehicle needs to see road speed for it clear the counter and let the engine restart.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, I hope your kidding. the computer gave one time reset. of 50 miles after I changed the NOx sensors, drove the vehicle for over 50 miles. hoping it will reset, but it did not. when the miles went to 0 miles. shut the car off and it did restart. after about 5 min of waiting ( ignition off ) the car would not restart. tried to reset the scr system to give me another 50 miles but it will not reset. it only give one chance to reset it to 50 miles . then you are out of luck. even if I replaced the dde module and reprogram it , it still would not reset, My question is which component gives you the 50 mile reset.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know if I take it to the dealer they will reset it by opening a PUMA case and use IRAP session to reset it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kennyany other suggestions you can think of to lead me on fixing this beast? I dont want to take the car to the dealer. Just want to know which component give a signal to the DDE module that tells it its the incorrect DEF fluid. and what kind of signal is it? Can it be by-passed to start the car? or which component allow the DDE module to give another 50 miles chance? like as I said before ,it only allows you to reset it ONLY one time. the mistake I made which I didn't know about is : when I replaced the NOx sensors you suppose to activate these sensors, as per BMW you suppose to drive the car at about 60 miles per hour for one hour , then come back and hook up the vehicle to ISTA/d diagnostic and before even shut the car off while the engine is running and re-activate the NOx sensors . Once you activate the sensors then you drive the vehicle then it suppose to reset the mileage for you. I didnt know about this, which is ridiculous . I shut the car off for over 180 seconds. then the engine would not start after that. the parts on BMW are so expensive. If I knew which component tells the computer the ( incorrect def fluid) i will change it or by pass it if I know what kind of signal. is it a frequency signal or Voltage signal. looking at BMW wiring diagrams it does not tell you any thing . all what it shows is wires from the module to diff. sensors or controllers. i have factory wiring diagrams, alldata, and identifix . non of these diagrams shows what is inside the modules . whether its the SCR tank, or the SCR catalyst , not sure which component controls the 50miles one time reset.
sorry for the long info. I tested every thing I could. but no results. i have been working on only BMW cars for 33 years and I would never ever let a BMW car leave unfixed no matter what. the only thing I lack is: I am not familiar with the freeking new BMW diesel. hope you or one of your colleagues have a little more info about BMW diesel.thanks for taking the time to read.
Expert:  Eurocar inc replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

Unfortunately Kenny has withdrawn from the question but I can help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

ok I have read your issue Maurice. With the codes you have i do believe you have a adblue sensor in the active tank that is on the fritz . What happens is that the sensor inside ,even though it is insulated, has cracked and the ad blue solution has contaminated the sensor causing either a high or low resistance and the dde sets all kinds of codes. note the active tank has all of the sensors and heaters. see drawing . so you will need to replace the active tank sensor/heater unit . The active tank is on the passenger side .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.