sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

It wont start : yes : battery is good turns over but wont

Customer Question

it wont start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: battery is good turns over but wont start
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: well i checked to see if my fuel pump is working
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: and im getting gas
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question did I have about this? What info can I provide for you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, i have a 2011 bmw 328 and it does not start
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
I understand. What do you want to know about this? Possible causes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The car turns over, the battery is good. i checked to see if im getting fuel and i am. i also checked to see if i was getting signal from the CKP sensor and i am. there is injector pulse. Im getting a code for the cam sensor intake and cam sensor outlet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked codes for immobilizer and there is a code but its related to the starter
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

what is the code

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know i have injector pulse because i scope the signal and its there and the scope the ckp and signal is normal you get a square wave
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

what is the immobilizer code?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
im trying to see if i have it here
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a0b4
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the cam sensor codes
2a9a and 2a9b
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the a0b4 code is in the imobilizer code
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

I would replace the cam sensors and vanos solenoids - this is a common issue.

.

.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i replaced the intake and exsauth cam sensors already
and i still get the same codes. i removed the spark plugs and the are wet with gas so that also tells me that i have gas from the injectors
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
wow
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think I resolved anything with my last question and answer

Were the codes cleared after the sensors were replaced, you tried to start the engine and the codes returned?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cleared the codes after I replaced the intake and ex sensors tried to start it and they cane back
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tested the wires going to the coil and I have power and ground and the signal seems to be there
I tested the wave form from crank and seems fine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I get a square signal as you can see I tried sending you a video but it's long

Do you have a compression gauge?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
compression is good don't have the reading but yes. The car was driving ok and then it just didn't start the next morning.

How do you know compression is good without test results?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tested the compression I have the results but not where I'm at I don't want to tell you the numbers but I did test the compression
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't want to tell you the wrong numbers
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's what I meant

The test was done after the no start condition appeared?
Are you able to get the results and post them here?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
first thing I checked were codes. Got 2 codes for cam sensor and not vanos solenoids.... I checked to see if I had injector pulse and scope the signal and there is signal I scoped the crank sensor and signal seems fine I replaced the cam sensors cleared the codes and they came back... So I made sure my compression was good and it was.... I have never seen a no start issue with vanos solenoids I have seen misfires or noise but not a no start. So I checked to see if maybe I'm missing something. I ruled out the security or key being an issue since I'm getting signals to injectors and crank

If you're still setting cam sensor codes then you either have a sensor wiring issue or improper cam timing. I'm trying to determine what compression is to try and get a better idea of cam timing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cyl 1
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cyl2
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cyl3
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cyl4
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll get u 5 and 6 in a bit I'm doing them now

You've got a definite internal engine issue there if testing is being done accurately.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a special way to do it? I ok with working on cars but if you tell me I can do it the way you think is best
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a tsb about the cam shafts but I don't know if that would cause it not to start

To check compression you would remove all spark plugs, crank with the throttle wide open and use a battery charger to ensure even cranking speed for all cylinders. I do believe you have a cam timing issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cyl5
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cyl6

If you weren't doing the tests as I described in my last post then you'll want to go back and double check all cylinders. Your results so far definitely indicate either engine damage or improper cam timing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did, I went back and re did them all just to doble check and I had not sent you those 2

The results were the same as the first readings sent then?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cylinder one reads about 100 cylinder 3 about 110 and the others higher and one is over 150 I think is 6

I'd recommend checking cam timing next then.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
take the valve cover off and check the cams? How do the vanos work?

You can do a visual inspection of the cams but the timing cover is going to need to come off if you don't see anything damaged there.

A variable cam timing issue can cause a fault code but there is almost no chance of it causing a no start condition as they will default to a fixed position when the engine isn't running.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what do I do next?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I open it? Or how exactly you go about checking it next?

You can remove the valve covers if you wish, otherwise remove the timing cover and check cam timing to see if it has jumped.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think e90 has a timing cover does it? I don't even think e46 has a timing cover

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm pretty sure the valve cover has to be removed to see the cams and check timing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Vin

There are special tools needed to lock the crank and lock/check the cams. You can just remove the valve cover for inspection but without the tools to check timing you ma not be able to see anything.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the tools to lock the cams, I did a e46 complete engine and I have the tools needed to lock the cams.... I'm just trying to figure out how the e90 works and what I'm suppost to do and how

Go ahead and put the crank lock tool in, pull the valve cover and have a look at the chain and cam sprockets.