Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks

BMW 3.0d VIN L178943. Eye stinging smoky exhaust when

Customer Question

BMW 3.0d VIN L178943.
Eye stinging smoky exhaust when idling. Only when engine gets warmed up. It's fine when the engine's cold/overnight. However, starts to smoke after idling for 10 mins or so.
All 6 injectors are new so too is the feed pump. No codes.
Video clip is available.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can post the Video , Ill take a look at it and see if I can help you determine what is going on here. It would also be useful if you could scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. Post back with this and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ron,The exhaust video isn't very obvious but the smoke is there towards the end. Let me know if you need a better video shot.
Second video is pretty self explanatory I suppose. Same scenario before and after replacing rings and valve stem seals.
No codes on the autologic that I use.Regards,
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

If you can send me a link to the Video I will sure have a look at it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ron,I tried to attach video file with previous email but was apparently too large, please try the following link.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

I an not sure why but I can not open the links for this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The first link dose not tell me much but the second one shows the engine has excessive blow by and if Im hearing it right it also sound like the engine is rattling, It this correct?

Are you getting any fault codes from the computer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it does sound like it's rattling. new piston rings and valve stem seals just replace, grind bar done. ring gap within tolerance. smoke(blowby) has neither increased nor decreased since replacements. car has 155k on odo. it started smoking both ends since 70k.
no codes on the autologic.
diverter valve is new too.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
cam sensor is new, maf replaced 10k km ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's driving me nuts.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

What kind of oil pressure do you have.

Are there any fault codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no codes regarding engine. if and when a code does appear it's normally dtc, electronic handbrake and seat occupant sensor.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its past midnight here, i'll check oil pressure tomorrow. any further checks that would help?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Well Im not sure I can fix this from here, to be honest the engine runs like its low on oil pressure and worn out. I can open the post back up for you if you would like and perhaps someone else may have something new to offer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the exhaust smoke gets very visible if humidity is after it's been raining on a hot day.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok. thanks anyway.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Your very welcome , sorry I could not be of more help.