Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have a 2005 mini convertible. Battery is about 3 years

Customer Question

I have a 2005 mini cooper convertible. Battery is about 3 years old. Car will not start. All instrumentation comes on. Lights work. When key is turned to start position there is no sound. No clicking...nothing. I tried to jump it hoping it was the battery but same result. I tried using both sets of keys. Mechanic thinks starter is good. My wife did drive in a very heavy rainstorm with standing water on last trip before she shut it off. Any ideas?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's a stick. Tried it with car in neutral and in gear with clutch depressed. It has a wheel lock feature which unlocks when key is turned.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not sure. If it's electrical then no.
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: It's in good working order. Has had no mechanical issues and currently has 93K in miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Have any diagnostics been carried out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not at this time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should say I have the car at a local import mechanic. He's done work for me in the past and I've had no issues. He's been in business for 20+ years at the same location and is trusted within the community. He initially thought it was the starter (me too) but on examination thinks the starter is ok. He thought the key may need to be reprogrammed until I told him I tried both keys.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any thoughts to it being the immobilizer?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
hi sorry for the delay I was not notified of your reply for some reason.
the key cannot be repogrammed on this car so that suggestion is a bit of a red flag regading this shop's familiarity with BMW/MINI
do they have a factory BMW/ MINI scan tool?
can you also please clarify exactly what you would like as your answer? It is hard to know what kind of thoughts you might be looking for.