rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

1996 750LI does not start every time. Sometimes it takes 6

Customer Question

1996 750LI does not start every time. Sometimes it takes 6 or 10 tries. The battery is only a year old
Category: BMW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach
automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

If the engine doesn't turn over with the starter, then you may have bad battery cables or a weak stater. BUT, if the engine is cranking okay, then you may have a weak fuel pump. Have your starting and charging system tested and your fuel pressure too.

Thanks, Ron