sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Reason my trunk won't close properly on my 2011 BMW z4.s and

Customer Question

hi for some reason my trunk won't close properly on my 2011 BMW z4.s and thus my retractable roof will not come down. Can you please help?
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the trunk will not close. So when I lock the car I continue to hear the trunk trying to close or lock and it just won't
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: maybe.. is there a blown fuse or wire lose that might be interfering with the electrical?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: I just got my battery replaced
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Depending on exactly how the trunk is open it could simply be a mechanical issue with the trunk latch, trunk lid or striker adjustment. If the top is closed and the back of the trunk won't latch then these are possibilities.

If it was in the process of opening the top and the front of the trunk lid is what is open but has stopped then the issue is most likely electrical. The module that controls top operation will suspend movement if it sees components in an incorrect state, whether it be a switch, wiring or mechanical issue.

What specific state is the trunk lid in?