Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

How do I open my softtop manually 325ci : The automatic top

Customer Question

How do I open my softtop manually for 2003 325ci
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with BMW. The BMW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The automatic top is not working so I would like to know how to open it manually the covertible
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It's not a fix its a work around
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: Are u just gonna give me a run around and waste my time
JA: No. I'm the BMW Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: So its a simple work around with plenty of stuff on YouTube but not specific to my model of BMW so there is a work around for each model I would like it for 2003 325ci is all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

do you want to open it manually so you can drive with the top down?

Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

unfortunately this top is not desinged to be opened manually, only to be closed manually in the event of a malfunction (to protect from the elements and for security reasons)
the issue with opening manually is that if you do so, you will not be able to lock down the convertible top storage compartment, so, when you drive, it will fly up and rip off, causing thousands in damage.
if you would like to be able to lower your top, you will unfortunatley need to have the underlying issue diagnosed and repaired.
sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, I trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.