Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

My 525xi currently sits in BMW Muscat after a total loss of

Customer Question

Hi, my 525xi currently sits in BMW Muscat after a total loss of power. Initial estimate from BMW is both catalytic converters blocked, new fuel pump, filter, both sensors, a host of ancillary components and a $5500 invoice!! I felt it was a fuel pump/pressure/filter problem as the engine started and would run for ten seconds or so before dying. Surely I don't have to replace the in-tank pump, filter, and both sensors at the eye-watering costs stated? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Nope, not an available option. I'm concerned that they are basically renewing all major components rather than finding the fault. If there was a fuel supply problem, why would they suggest changing the pump, and the filter AND the sensors??
JA: OK! The BMW Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: I'm concerned that the car was serviced, by BMW, in Nov 15 prior to me purchasing the car, and none of these issues were diagnosed. I've driven 6000km in six months and now the car fails to a significant extent? Really? How should I approach BMW with my concerns?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
hi, can you please confirm what kind of thoughts you are seeking with regards ***** *****? it is hard to know how to answer requests for thoughts?